Sunday, September 25, 2005

First(and Second)Week Action At UTM

Well to sum up the first week at University in a word would be,as one Mr. Dave Mustaine once very aptly put.......Borrrrriiinnnggg!!!Except for the lectures,most of which were quite fun.There was a screening of an old 1932 movie called Trouble In Paradise,as a part of the course, in one of the Film Studies lectures.I had been a bit apprehensive about 'black and white'-era movies,and Anant had shown his concern over my possible inability to digest all the Oldies stuff.But to be honest,the movie turned out to be quite a nice one and a funny one too.Clearly,humour back then was pretty sharp and witty,as compared to the usual slap-stick one encounters these days.And you really had to be attentive to be able to grasp and consequently laugh at the jokes and comments.Good movie.Shattered the inhibitions I had about old movies.
Din't have much of a clue in my first Art History class.No fucking background whatsoever in art.Have to do a lot of reading before next week's classes.However at one of my Art History Tutorial classes,we had a discussion on whether Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain"(1917) was really a work of art.You can take a look at the pic here www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/fountain.html
What amazed me was that lots of people seemed to think that art only means what you can create by painting,drawing,photography,etc.Something original made out of your own hands.
I disagree.What I think is that it takes real fucking brains to come up with an idea to transform a simple everyday object into something entirely different.In this case a pee-station into a fountain.Brilliant!Its not the physical labour that counts.Its the idea.And who thought about it first.So FUCK YOU Anu Malik!
What I thought,and later the the T.A. stated,was that Duchamp was actually deliberately attacking the so called self-proclaimed egalitarian art society who tried to define art.His work made me think and ask myself a question.Its not important how or by what standards we define art.Its the question of why we need to define it in the first place?
Anyways very funny thing happened at one of my Film Studies lectures.I fucking fell asleep man.For 1-2 minutes I was gone.And right under the prof's nose in the front row.I'd had a hotdog for lunch,which turned out to be quite heavy and 2 hours later I was dozing off while the prof was showing us clips in a darkened room.But anyways I regained control later and got through the lecture without the prof noticing,thankfully.
Met this Indian guy on the bus back home one day.Turned out to be pretty friendly.Then went with him on last Thursday to sign up at the various clubs at University.What really shocked and ashamed me was that there was no Indian Association there.But you could find almost every other Asian country there.So we finally signed up with the South Asian Alliance which is basically the sub-continent in all its glory.Yay.Whatever.Fucking lazy worthless Indians.Can't even run a Club.
Nothing else worth mentioning happened in these 2 weeks,except that I spent 1 hour last to last friday walking around campus in bloody cold rain searching for a DVD of "Trouble In Paradise" coz our Prof had told us to have a few more looks at it.Oh by the way I got 2 out of 5 in my first surprise quiz!Really unfair to take quizzes in just the second week!
And best of all,I spent 3 hours on my first day at college listening to Megadeth and reading "The Rule Of Four" in the middle of a bustling University meeting hall.
Hope you enjoyed reading about my despair and agony.

Fucking Sadists!

1 Comments:

Blogger maverick said...

go to template and click on settings and then to comments and turn the word verification on. You wont get spammed with worthless stuff then.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home